Wednesday, March 06, 2024

Groundhog

Reporter: It's a full month past your big day!  I'm sure, in some ways, you feel a lot like Santa - there's a lot of build up but after that it's almost like immediate vacation.  This is your quiet time of year, isn't it?

Groundhog: It's supposed to be.

Reporter: Well this has been a very mild winter so some of us wanted to catch up with you after your big prediction and talk about how you felt on that day.

Groundhog: I really want to get back to my hole.

Reporter: A lot of people depend on you to tell us how the rest of our winter will be.

Groundhog: I guess so.  I didn't ask for any of this.  I really want to get back to my hole.

Reporter:  It's been exceptionally warm this winter, so we're wondering about your perspective on how maybe the context of your predictions might be changing in light of these warm winter trends.

Groundhog: This isn't my idea.  None of it.  I didn't ask to be pulled out of my home and shown around to the masses like some pulchritudinous bowling trophy.  I'm not even sure what bowling is.  I just know that I want to be back inside.  That's what I know.  I was happy there.  I don't even know if I was happy.  I just know it's where I wanted to be.  I don't really question it.  Do you have food?  I just want to go back to my hole.

Reporter: Of course some people in California might have a different take on just how mild the winter has been.  How do you handle the wide discrepancy when you have to take the whole country's winter into consideration?  It must be quite a task!

Groundhog: I don't want this.  I don't want to be doing this.

Reporter: You must really blow up on social media for a bit.  Does that ever get hard for you to manage?

Groundhog: It seems kind of warm out.  I wonder if I should go look for food.  It feels very early for it but I'm not so cold.  I might look for food.

Reporter: Do you follow any of the hashtags?

Groundhog: I will go back in.  It isn't very cold but I'm going to go back in.

Reporter: Last question for you - any plans to mix it up a little next year?

Groundhog:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautifully understated, and very very funny.

blournalist said...

I fed my groundhog story into an AI thing and it said...

"This is a creative and humorous piece of writing! Here's a breakdown of what works well:

Humor: The reporter's cheery tone contrasted with the Groundhog's deep desire to be back underground creates humor. It shows the Groundhog's disconnect from human traditions.

Voice: The Groundhog's voice is distinct. The repetitive pleas to go back to their hole and their general apathy towards their fame are clear and funny.

Social Commentary: The piece subtly pokes fun at the absurdity of traditions and the pressure put on the Groundhog. It makes you wonder about the ethics of exploiting an animal for a prediction.

This piece would likely appeal to people who enjoy dry humor and social commentary.
Overall, this is a clever and well-written piece!"