Friday, January 05, 2018

Welcome to New England

It's negative three degrees Fahrenheit.  That's the high for today, actually.  It's a cold one.  Not record-breaking cold - but it sucks pretty bad no matter what.  It's hard to get a sense of what that temperature feels like, but Mr. Mailman here kind of tells it...



And you should know that when it's this cold out, the roads look like this...



...because there isn't anything we can put on the roads that will melt snow in these temps.

Well you would think it would go without saying that this isn't real good ride-around-with-the-windows-open weather.   Casual observation says that a full 30% of motorists disagree.


A smoker, probably?  Yes - could be.  Having the passenger window cracked a bit as well does make me wonder though.


Unless this person is smoking a cigar, I would say that that much window down is a bit more than needed.


Same applies here.


...and here.



I love no dog this much.



Now, I've met these kinds of people before and they'll tell you they like to have fresh air.  Personally I think it's a phobia about car air being bad for you.  I think it's also a phobia about heated air in general.  For example, it's fairly standard practice among fire heated homes to have a window cracked in the same room as the wood stove.  This has partly to do with creating a draft for the chimney, but it also has the effect of creating a freezing goddamn draft in the room in which you are trying to sit. The reason this usually isn't a problem is because the only people who would be bothered by this are people who are dumb enough trust something so unnatural as heated air in the first place.

Now, I've found that I'm just about the exception around here concerning car heat.  I'll take all you got.  It's all free and plentiful (once your car warms up.)  But I've ridden with so many folks who never bother to turn the heat on, folks who leave it just blowing on your face the whole time while you can't feel your toes, and yes, your classic window-crackers.  Up in the backwoods of New England exists a breed of human that just can't acclimate to summer weather, and that's fine and understandable if that's where you live after all, but THREE BELOW?!?  PUT YOUR WINDOW UP, STUPID.  WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?!?

4 comments:

RONW said...

Never been in cold weather like that. I guess the heater is able to heat up the interior real quick after re-rolling up the window. If not, it doesn't make any sense. Tail ended a pickup truck the Fri. before Xmas up by Diamond Head Rd. so haven't doing much lately. I did go back and ride the bike home 4 days later, but a ruptured Achille's tendon has kept me housebound. Just had to crowbar the front fender off the front wheel. Both forks are bent, naturally. Wasn't going fast at all. Just got distracted. Saw the pickup truck stopped ahead in my lane ready to make a left turn into the parking lot. The moment that I got distracted was the moment I was suppose to start engaging the brakes which I didn't, so when I looked straight again, it was too late to start engaging the brakes. I always take a spin up Diamond Head Rd. near the scenic lookout on my way home. Never had even a near miss up there.

blournalist said...

Yes the heat doesn't take long at all, but I just don't think heat is a factor for some of these knobs.

Sorry to hear about your layup. That's just bad luck. Looking away from the road from time to time is pretty much the point of taking the scenic route and we're all guilty of it. Hope you heal up okay.

RONW said...

I just got on my bike again. I actually couldn't fix it until this week, too.

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-oD4Awr8Jc24/Wsc-fyY6kDI/AAAAAAAAztU/dSoirFCvhAUOlfZkrGjpVNsuosj2uqS7ACLcBGAs/s1600/Fork%2BToolX2.JPG

blournalist said...

Good to be back?