Saturday, May 30, 2020

Racism Explained

Not really.



I wasn't there at the time so this is only a guess, but imagine being in NYC in the early 1900's; maybe the heyday of Ellis Island.  A time when the phrase "fresh off the boat" was literal (maybe except for the "fresh" part I would imagine.)

If you have just arrived in the New World, no matter what else you were hoping to leave behind,  I would assume you would bring some fundamental elements of your culture along with you.  In these early days I'm sure it was a LOT easier and also pretty harmless to view people as a cast of characters as neighborhoods were built and colored in with culture from all corners of the globe.  I mean, when the ingredients of the Melting Pot first came together, it wasn't the Irish that brought all the pasta and garlic, and I don't think anyone was kicking back after a nice meal to enjoy a fine Norwegian cigar.  Back then, I would think the truly observant of us would know exactly which ethnic neighborhood to visit in order to get the best version of whatever it was they were seeking, and I'm sure many nicknames arose from this interaction, but I don't suspect much of it was done with animus.  I think  it's just a simple matter of people associating cultures and ethnicities with the things they do best... or at least with what they do most prominently.

I think it became harder to see these unique contributions/attributes as neighborhoods and cultures became more integrated, but for a time I believe the stereotyping was well-intentioned, possibly was perceived as a badge of honor or source of pride, and probably even helped us make sense of each other.

No comments: