Thursday, December 07, 2023

The Peter Principle

Boy, that's an unfortunate name.

Irregardless, the Peter Principle says that you'll be promoted to the level of your incompetence.  It suggests that as long as you continue to excel, you'll advance.  That means once you stop excelling, you'll stop advancing.  That means eventually you'll land on the thing you don't excel at, and that's where you shall stay my friend.  

It sort of implies that everyone who works at the highest level in any department is incompetent, but the idea does come from a work of satire, so it isn't meant as gospel, but it does seem to have a grain of truth.  

If that grain of truth exists, it tells me I wasn't quite good enough to finish the photo job I was just ranting about in a previous post.  Oh - am I still going on about that?  YOU BET.  It says that my level of competence stops short of portraiture, which as I said, is kind of hard to explain after eight years of continually getting asked to do the job, and matching the look established by the previous "professional" photographer so they would all appear seamless.  It says that I should never have been selected to take any of these photos in the first place.

It also says that the guy who got the job probably sucks at it, too.  Except in his case it doesn't matter.

No comments: