Monday, October 23, 2006

"Hi, Bob."

I found this little piece of music on some website a while back. Some guy named Steve was recording his guitar into his iPod when a co-worker, Bob, walks in and "ruins" it. Bob thought it was funny and put it on his website.

Here's the recording.

I thought it'd be pretty cool to take that recording and build on it - kind of making it sound like Bob had really ruined something. At the very least, I thought it would be a nifty way to make an acquaintance. Most unfortunately, the music didn't seem to make much sense to me. Play it again. Maybe you get it. I sure didn't.

After a few more listens, I did get an idea. Not sure if it was what Steve was thinking, but it at least made sense to me. I recorded some things and sent it off.

Sounds like this.

Bob genuinely seemed to enjoy it, but he didn't tell me whether or not he'd even played it for Steve, and I had to bug him to find that out. Were we going to start an Internet band? Was he offended? Did I totally miss it? Was he worried about someone stealing his music?

I eventually got a reply from Bob. "Steve enjoyed it."

Hardly worth the effort.

No comments: